Guide to Bronze Baby Shoes
Do you wish to treasure your child’s first steps? Do you want to create a memento of your baby’s first shoes? Then you can do so by bronzing baby shoes.
The first pair of your baby’s shoes holds high sentimental values. Bronzing baby shoes is not something new. It was started back in 1934. During that time, it was quite popular. But soon, the trend died away.
However, bronzing baby shoes are back again. Many companies can bronze your baby’s shoes. But you can do it yourself at home as well if you want to know how then read the text below.
Bronzing Baby Shoes
You don’t have to rely on shops to get your baby shoes bronzed. With the steps given below, you can DIY at home.
Here you go with the steps.
- At first, you need to clean the shoes using a damp rag thoroughly. While cleaning makes sure that all the dirt particles are removed.
- Take another rag and soak it in denatured alcohol.
- Now rub the soaked rag on the shoes to get rid of any dirt and polish that may have stayed.
- After you are done, let the shoes dry.
- In this step, you need to position the tongue and lace of the shoes the way you want.
- Using superglue or rubber cement, fix the laces and tongue in their desired position.
- Make two holes in the sole using a sharp needle. The holes should be big enough for you to thread your fishing line or wire.
- Now put the wire or line through the holes you made and make a loop so that you can hang them.
- Take a small bowl and create a mixture of fast-drying spar varnish and bronze powder.
- Stir the mixture well and continue doing it so that the mixture doesn’t settle at the bottom.
- Take a paintbrush and apply the mixture on the exterior of the shoes and the inside parts that are visible.
- Once done, allow the shoes to dry in a nice airy place.
- After the bronze paint has dried, check for dull spots and recoat them. You may have to apply several coats to achieve the desired effect.
- You need to make sure that you dry the shoes before applying the next coat.
Here are some extra tips to get the best results.
- To give the shoes an aged look, you can make use of black oil paint. You can mix it with the varnish mix.
- It would help if you used a gel glue so that it doesn’t run down.
- If you want to make the shoes a bit heavier, then you can use plaster of Paris. Fill in the front of the shoes with the mixture and hang it to dry.
By following these easy steps, you can bronze your baby shoes right in the house. Make sure that you have all the required supplies.